You can use the intense flavor of balsamic vinegar to make a hugely flavorful salad dressing. Two things to know are that the balsamic vinegar (at least if it’s real) will have less acidity than the vinegar you’re accustomed to using. So the ratio of vinegar to oil is higher than usual. Second, this tastes better if there’s a little sweetness in it. It also include finely chopped shallots in mine.
This dressing gets better if you make it about a day before you use it. (But that’s not essential.)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs. Creole mustard
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped French shallots
- 1 Tbs. molasses or brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a bowl with 2 Tbs. cold water. Whisk to blend completely.
2. Add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until smoothly incorporated into the other ingredients.
Store in a bottle in the refrigerator. If the olive oil solidifies, just leave it at room temperature for a few minutes.
Makes 1 1/2 cups of dressing.