Gazpacho Seville Style
This is the recipe for gazpacho that Angel Miranda, the late founder of Lola’s on Esplanade Avenue, gave me when his restaurant was Altamira, down in the Warehouse District. When I tried this at home, I zipped it up with a dash of hot sauce and about three sprigs of cilantro.
- 1 lb. fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 slices bread, soaked in water
1. The entire preparation takes place in your blender or food processor. Put all the ingredients in except the bread and process until you have a smooth puree. You can add water up to a total of two cups to keep the mixture smooth.
2. Add the bread at the end, a slice at a time, and puree until you get the consistency you like. (It’s not necessary to use all the bread.)