Gumbo Shop’s Pecan Vinaigrette Dressing
The Gumbo Shop on St. Peter Street may be as famous among locals for this salad dressing as it is for its gumbo. It’s a shade on the sweet side, so it’s best with salads that have a certain bitterness (spinach, Belgian endive, frisee, and radicchio, for example). If you have time to toast the almonds under the broiler for a couple of minutes, it gets even better. During the Reveillon season of December, this great concoction shows up in the salad served as part of the dinner.
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup roasted pecan halves, coarsely chopped
1. Combine everything except the olive oil and the pecans in a non-metallic bowl and whisk to blend.
2. While continuing to whisk, pour in the olive oil in a thin stream, increasing the flow as you go. After half the olive oil is in there, add 2 Tbs. water, and continue to add the oil.
3. Stir in the pecans, and serve tossed with greens of your choice.
Makes about 2 cups.