Mary Ann’s Spinach And Mushroom Dip
My wife Mary Ann loves to improvise dips. This is one of her two or three best. She never makes it the same way twice, so if you get the urge to add garlic, bell peppers, bacon, crawfish, crabmeat, or whatever else sounds good to you, try it! The Food Police have been disbanded.
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 8 oz. small whole mushrooms, sliced
- 1 10-oz. bag fresh spinach, washed, picked and cleaned
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- Dash jalapeno pepper sauce
1. In a skillet, sauté the onions in the butter until soft. Add the mushrooms and the spinach, plus 1/4 cup water.
2. When the liquid in the pan is gone, turn the contents onto a cutting board and chop.
3. Return the pan contents to the skillet, add the cream, and lower the heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for about three minutes, stirring lightly. Turn off the heat.
4. Cut the cream cheese into pieces and stir into the pan contents. Add salt, pepper, and jalapeno pepper sauce to taste.
Serve with croutons, pita crisps, or other dippable food.
Makes three cups.