Pasta Salad Allegro
This is the best pasta salad I’ve ever had, created by Chef Ron Wilemon of Allegro Bistro in the Energy Center. Great picnic food. The use of tortelloni (or tortellini–same thing, but a little bigger) adds charm to the dish.
- 2 lbs. cheese tortellini, preferably multi-color
- 2 Tbs. Creole mustard
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. smoked sausage or andouille, cut into small slivers
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cubed
- 16 (approx.) sun-dried tomatoes, soaked a few minutes in warm water, sliced into julienne strips
- 3 cans artichoke hearts packed in water, drained, rinsed, quartered and pulled apart
- 20-30 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1 each red, yellow, and green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. oregano
1. Cook the tortellini until still firm. Drain and refrigerate.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the Creole mustard and the vinegar together with about a third of the olive oil until smooth. Add 2 Tbs. cold water, then add the rest of the olive oil slowly while whisking constantly.
3. Add all the other ingredients and toss carefully (avoid breaking the pasta) to distribute the ingredients evenly. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before serving.
Serves eight to twelve.