Red Bean and Corn Salad
My wife Mary Ann found a recipe for black beans and corn in a great book called “Summertime Treats” by Sara Perry. I fooled around with it a little and came up with this variation. This becomes a fantastic recipe if you ever get your hands on some fresh red beans, which show up in stores now and then.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of two limes
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. spicy paprika
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 2 cups dried red beans, or 3 cups fresh
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 each red and yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, finely cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1. If you’re using dried beans, sort through them first to remove dirt and bad ones, then rinse. Boil in water only until they’re tender, but not even beginning to fall apart. Drain and cool.
2. Make the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together and refrigerating. If you can make it an hour or more ahead of time, the flavors will blend well.
2. Toss all the vegetables except the tomato and the cilantro in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the top, add the tomato and cilantro, and toss again. This gets distinctly better if it sits about a half-hour before serving.