Southeast Asian-Creole Dipping Sauce
This may be a long stretch to keep the local theme, but it’s great as a dip for vegetables or seafood (especially big grilled shrimp), or even as a salad dressing. It also works well as a basting sauce for grilled fish or chicken. All of the exotic ingredients are available in the ethnic section of any large supermarket.
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Tabasco green pepper sauce
- 1 oz. sesame oil
- 5 sprigs cilantro, leaves only
- 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 2 Tbs. hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
1. In a food processor, puree the first four ingredients, then add everything else. Puree again.
2. Add water as necessary to achieve the consistency appropriate to your needs.
Makes about two cups.