- Wash and trim the artichokes, removing all bruised leaves and the top inch or so. Cut the artichokes in half and place in six cups of boiling water seasoned with the lemon, onion, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, then remove artichokes from the liquid. When cool, remove leaves and separate hearts and bottoms. Remove any pink or purple leaves, and any fuzzy parts.
- Puree the hearts and the soft meat from the leaves in a blender and set aside.
- Make a light roux from the butter and flour. Whisk this into the liquid and return to a boil. Add the pureed artichokes and boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain the soup through a fine sieve into a clean pot. Add the cream and the diced artichoke bottoms. Heat through, and serve.