Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1/2 lb. small to medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup garlic mayonnaise (below)
- 4 two-inch squares jalapeno cornbread (see recipe on page 00)
- Garlic mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. Dijon or Creole mustard
- 1 Tbs. vinegar
- 2 Tbs. chopped garlic
Mix the vegetable oil, spices and garlic in a stainless steel bowl. Add the shrimp and marinate for one to two hours, covered and refrigerated.
Make the garlic mayonnaise by combining all the ingredients and blending with a whisk. It's better if you make it a day ahead of time and refrigerate, to let the flavors blend.
Heat a medium skillet and in it sauté the shrimp in its marinade plus the sliced onions. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm--four to five minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp.
Split the cornbread and spread both halves with garlic mayonnaise. Place on serving plates and top with the shrimp.