- 1/2 cup good-quality olives, pitted, perhaps of several varieties
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 3 standard canned anchovies (or 2 white ones--preferred)
- 2 Tbs. capers (the smallest you can find)
- 2-4 basil leaves
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. Tabasco green hot sauce
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
With a sharp French chef's knife, chop the olives and garlic as finely as you can.
Put all the ingredients into a food processor. Process for fifteen seconds, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, and repeat until the contents are a rough paste.
Spoon the mixture into a serving bowl and surround with toasted bread of some kind.