Thai Green Curry With Shrimp
- Per person:
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 6 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup cubed eggplant
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 tsp. Thai green curry paste
- 2 tsp. nam pla (fish sauce; also known as nuoc mam)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok until almost smoking. Add the shrimp, eggplant, bell pepper, and bamboo shoots and stir-fry until the shrimp are pink--about 15-20 seconds.
With a slotted spoon, remove all the ingredients and keep warm. Pour off the oil but leave the residue. Add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil. Allow to reduce to half its original volume, or until sauce has a pleasing thickness.
Return the shrimp, etc. to the wok and toss with the sauce until combined. Serve immediately.