Wild Mushroom and Rabbit Stew
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 3 cups rich stock (rabbit, veal or chicken)
- 3 whole rabbit tenderloins, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 cups whole wild mushrooms, or sliced shiitakes or criminis, sliced
Make a blond roux with the flour and the butter. Heat the stock and whisk the roux in. Keep warm.
Dust the rabbit pieces with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over high heat, then add the rabbit. Sear the exterior, then lower the heat to medium.
Add the onion, tomato, and thyme, and cook until soft. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce till the sauce coats a spoon.
Stir in the mushrooms and warm through. Serve hot by itself or over pasta.